Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Brief encounter with the day I was born

"Hi." she says, "Will that be all?"
"Yes. Thank You." I reply
My dad was good friends with your Father, Uncle Micheal. I want to say.
"Oh! Shoot! Sorry I'll be right back!" she says as she looks at the last customer's reciept and run after him.
But she's gone. She looks like Uncle Micheal, but a feminine version of him. I play the conversation in my head. " Where's your Dad now?" She'll ask. And then I'll have to say, "He passed away." And then that will make her feel bad, making me feel bad because I made her feel bad and I'll be sorry I ever brought it up. Her mom comes to the counter.
"You next?" She asks
"Yes."
I was born in the same hospital as your son. Three days later. You were in the hospital bed beside my mom when I was born. You know me, you were one of the first people to ever actually see me when I came into this world!!
But I don't because there's now a long line up of people behind us, trying to pay for their kitchen items.
My dad went to Chinese school with Uncle Micheal. They knew each other for a long long time. I still want to say as she gives me my change.
But I still don't because I don't want her to think that I'm a stranger and wonder why I'm refering to her husband as Uncle.
As I'm walking out, I'm still having an imaginary conversation with these people that I know, that don't know me.